"Autobiographies of great nations are written in three manuscripts – a book of deeds, a book of words, and a book of art. Of the three, I would choose the latter as truest testimony." - Sir Kenneth Smith, Great Civilisations

"I must write each day without fail, not so much for the success of the work, as in order not to get out of my routine." - Leo Tolstoy

I have never believed that one should wait until one is inspired because I think the pleasures of not writing are so great that if you ever start indulging them you will never write again. - John Updike

"The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another; and his humblest hour is when he compares the volume as it is with what he vowed to make it." - J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Poetry is the shadow cast by our streetlight imaginations." - Lawrence Ferlinghetti


[Note - If any article requires updating or correction please notate this in the comment section. Thank you. - res]


Thursday, May 13, 2021

A Tribute to the Servants of the Lord



A Tribute to Heroes Past
by R.E. Slater


Early days of Sunday School had impressed upon me,
the kindness and benevolence of God's many servants.

From young to old each came to give of their talents,
their voice, their songs, their hands and feet.

My memories of each worker were kind and sweet,
their fellowships warm, their hearts freely giving.

It is to these unsung heroes I dedicate this day and hour,
how the tiniest aide granted has not gone unreaped.

From soulful choirs to toiling gardeners and janitors,
serving in the back rooms or in Sunday worship hours.

Each like a flower petal contributing what they could,
each noticed by this, my heart, yet young and good.

Thank you one and all, for your goodness and your giving,
who taught the art of patient service unto one and all.

Truly the Lord has said of those having lent body and soul,
the greatest honor among you are those serving all.

Indeed, and well, have I observed whatever the capacity,
no less a servant's heart than a heart willing to serve.


R.E. Slater
May 13, 2021
*Matthew 23:11


@copyright R.E. Slater Publications
all rights reserved


* * * * * * * *


[Gracias Choir] C.A.Miles:
I Come to the Garden Alone / Sooyeon Lee, Eunsook Park



In The Garden
by C. Austin Miles

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses

And He walks with me, and He talks with me
And He tells me, I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

He speaks and the sound of His voice
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing

And He walks with me, and He talks with me
And He tells me, I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

I'd stay in the garden with Him
Though the night around me be falling
But He bids me go through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling

And He walks with me, and He talks with me
And He tells me, I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known



* * * * * * * *


In the Garden (1912 song)
Jump to navigationJump to search
In the Garden
by C. Austin Miles
GenreHymn
Written1913
Based onJohn 20:14
Meter8.9.10.7 with refrain

"In the Garden" (sometimes rendered by its first line "I Come to the Garden Alone" is a gospel song written by American songwriter C. Austin Miles (1868–1946), a former pharmacist who served as editor and manager at Hall-Mack publishers for 37 years. According to Miles' great-granddaughter, the song was written "in a cold, dreary and leaky basement in Pitman, New Jersey that didn't even have a window in it let alone a view of a garden."[1] The song was first published in 1912 and popularized during the Billy Sunday evangelistic campaigns of the early twentieth century by two members of his staff, Homer Rodeheaver and Virginia Asher.


About In the Garden

"In the Garden" (sometimes rendered by its first line "I Come to the Garden Alone" is a gospel song written by American songwriter C. Austin Miles (1868–1946), a former pharmacist who served as editor and manager at Hall-Mack publishers for 37 years. According to Miles' great-granddaughter, the song was written "in a cold, dreary and leaky basement in Pitman, New Jersey that didn't even have a window in it let alone a view of a garden." The song was first published in 1912 and popularized during the Billy Sunday evangelistic campaigns of the early twentieth century by two members of his staff, Homer Rodeheaver and Virginia Asher. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans recorded the song with vocal quartet and orchestra on March 3, 1950. Tennessee Ernie Ford performed the song on his 1956 platinum album Hymns. A June 18, 1958 recording by Perry Como was part of his album When You Come to the End of the Day. Rosemary Clooney included it on her 1959 MGM Records album Hymns from the Heart. It is also used in juxtaposition to "Blue Tail Fly" near the beginning of the Merchant Ivory film The Ballad of the Sad Cafe. The book of poetry Tea by D. A. Powell also refers to the song. Doris Day recorded the song on her 1962 album You'll Never Walk Alone. Elvis Presley recorded the song on his gospel album How Great Thou Art (1967). Willie Nelson recorded the song on his 1976 gospel album The Troublemaker. Glen Campbell recorded the song on his 1989 gospel album Favorite Hymns. The gospel song is sung in the closing scene of the film Places in the Heart (1984) and by Ronee Blakley in the Robert Altman film Nashville (1975). Brad Paisley recorded a cover of the song on his debut album Who Needs Pictures (1999). 


C. Austin Miles

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
C. Austin Miles
CAustinMiles.jpg
BornJanuary 7, 1868
DiedMarch 10, 1946 (aged 78)
NationalityAmerican
Other namesA. A. Payn, C. A. M.
Notable work
"In the Garden"

Charles Austin Miles (January 7, 1868 – March 10, 1946) was a prolific American writer of gospel songs, who is best known for his 1912 hymn "In the Garden".

He studied at the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and the University of Pennsylvania. In 1892, he ceased to practice as a pharmacist. His first gospel song, "List! ’Tis Jesus’ Voice", was published by the Hall-Mack Company. He worked as editor and manager at Hall-Mack for 37 years. A resident of Pitman, New Jersey, Miles died on March 10, 1946, at Hahnemann Hospital in Philadelphia.[1] He is buried in Hillcrest Memorial Park, Sewell, NJ.

He said, "It is as a writer of gospel songs I am proud to be known, for in that way I may be of the most use to my Master, whom I serve willingly although not as efficiently as is my desire". He wrote at least 398 songs, and the music to at least 8 more.

His best-known song may be "In the Garden" (1912); sometimes known by its first line, "I Come to the Garden Alone". It has been included in 210 hymnals,[5] and recorded numerous times.

Songs



* * * * * * * *


[Gracias Choir] J.McGranahan:
I Know Not Why God's Wondrous Grace / Hyemi Choi, Julio, Eunsook Park




I Know Not Why God's Wondrous Grace (I Know Whom)
J. McGranahan

I know not why God's wondrous grace
To me He hath made known
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
Redeemed me for His own

But I know Whom I have believed
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I've committed
Unto Him against that day

I know not how the Spirit moves
Convincing us of sin
Revealing Jesus through the Word
Creating faith in Him

But I know Whom I have believed
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I've committed
Unto Him against that day

I know not what of good or ill
May be reserved for me
Of weary ways or golden days
Before His face I see

But I know Whom I have believed
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I've committed
Unto Him against that day

I know not when my Lord may come
At night or noonday fair
Nor if I walk the vale with Him
Or meet Him in the air

But I know Whom I have believed
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I've committed
Unto Him against that day

Alternate Verse:

I know not how this saving faith
To me He did impart
Nor how believing in His Word
Wrought peace within my heart


* * * * * * * *


James McGranahan

Jump to navigationJump to search
James McGranahan

James McGranahan was a nineteenth-century American musician and composer, most known for his various hymns. He was born 4 July 1840, in West Fallowfield or Adamsville, Pennsylvania, and died 9 July 1907 at his home in Kinsman, Ohio.

He composed over 25 hymns. For example, in one work he is listed as the composer of three notable songs: "He Will Hide Me" by Mary Elizabeth Servoss, "Revive Thy Work, O Lord" by Albert Midlane, and "Come" by a "Mrs. James Gibson Johnson"; and he composed the music for at least 39 of the 79 hymns in a work co-authored with Ira D. Sankey. McGranahan composed most of the tunes for the lyrics of Major Daniel Webster Whittle, including EL NATHAN, the tune associated with Whittle's "I Know Whom I Have Believèd" (written 1883).

The music of his hymn "My Redeemer," written for lyrics by P. P. Bliss, is used as the accompaniment for the Latter-day Saints hymn "O My Father."

In Hawaii, McGranahan is noted for writing the music to the hymn "I Left It All With Jesus." The melody was given new lyrics, written sometime prior to 1886 by Lorenzo Lyons, an early missionary to Hawaii, and given a new title, "Hawai'i Aloha." Lyons was known as "Makua Laiana" or simply "Laiana." By the end of the 20th century "Hawai'i Aloha" had become one of Hawaii's best known and best loved songs. It is often sung at the close of public political, spiritual, educational and sporting events.



* * * * * * * *



https://graciaschoir.com/



[Gracias Choir] Easter Concert




https://graciaschoir.com/


25 Bible Verses About Serving and Volunteering

Christians are called to serve others and we all need inspiration and biblical reinforcement for what we do. Whether that is volunteering for the local church or serving as a church employee, we all need to be reminded of what the Bible says about serving others. Here are 25 Bible verses that speak to God’s purpose and expectation for us to serve others. I pray this inspires you! - Patricia

1. “God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.” Hebrews 6:10

2. “Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered.” Proverbs 11:25

3. “The greatest among you will be your servant.” Matthew 23:11

4. “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Luke 6:38

5. “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45

6. “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10

7. “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.” Romans 12:9-13

8. “So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.” Galatians 6:10

9. “But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.” Luke 6:35

10. “I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Acts 20:35

11. “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:10

12. “Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.” Colossians 3:23-24

13. “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’ Matthew 25:40

14. “Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon.” Isaiah 58:10

15. “Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written: ‘They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.” 2 Corinthians 9:7-9

16. “You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Galatians 5:13-14

17. “This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.” Titus 3:8

18. “Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.” 1 Thessalonians 5:15

19. “Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.” 1 John 3:18

20. “Now after this the Lord appointed seventy others, and sent them in pairs ahead of Him to every city and place where He Himself was going to come. And He was saying to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.” Luke 10:1-2

21. “Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I. Send me!” Isaiah 6:8

22. “When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.” John 13:12-13

23. “Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20:28

24. “So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, …” Philippians 2:1-11

25. “And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” Mark 9:35




No comments:

Post a Comment