"Autobiographies of great nations are written in three manuscripts – a book of deeds, a book of words, and a book of art. Of the three, I would choose the latter as truest testimony." - Sir Kenneth Smith, Great Civilisations

"I must write each day without fail, not so much for the success of the work, as in order not to get out of my routine." - Leo Tolstoy

I have never believed that one should wait until one is inspired because I think the pleasures of not writing are so great that if you ever start indulging them you will never write again. - John Updike

"The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another; and his humblest hour is when he compares the volume as it is with what he vowed to make it." - J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Poetry is the shadow cast by our streetlight imaginations." - Lawrence Ferlinghetti


[Note - If any article requires updating or correction please notate this in the comment section. Thank you. - res]


Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Omar Khayyam - Quotes & Sayings



Quotes & Sayings by Omar Khayyam


“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”
― Omar Khayyám


Don't cry upon you losses
Don't mesure today with tomorows
Don't trust to passed and coming day
Believe in now - and be happy today.
― Omar Khayyam


To wisely live your life, you don't need to know much
Just rememeber two main rules for the beginning:
You better starve, than eat whatever
And better be alone, than with whoever.
― Omar Khayyam


Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.
― Omar Khayyam


Dead yesterdays and unborn tomorrows, why fret about it, if today be sweet.
― Omar Khayyam


How sad, a heart that
does not know how to love, that
does not know what it is to be drunk with love.
If you are not in love, how can you enjoy
the blinding light of the sun,
the soft light of the moon?
― Omar Khayyam


Realise this: one day your soul
will depart from your body and you will
be drawn behind the curtain that floats between us
and the unknown. While you wait for that moment, be happy,
because you don't know where you came from and
you don't know where you will be going.
― Omar Khayyam


As far as you can avoid it, do not give grief to anyone. Never inflict your rage on another. If you hope for eternal rest, feel the pain yourself; but don’t hurt others.
― Omar Khayyam


Men talk of heaven, - there is no heaven but here;
Men talk of hell, - there is no hell but here;
Men of hereafters talk and future lives, -
O love, there is no other life - but here.
― Omar Khayyam


To be free of belief and unbelief is my religion.
― Omar Khayyam


I have not asked for life.
But I try to accept whatever
life brings without surprise.
And I shall depart again without having
questioned anyone about my strange
stay here on earth.
― Omar Khayyam


Drink wine. This is life eternal. This is all that youth will give you. It is the season for wine, roses and drunken friends. Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.
― Omar Khayyam


Give me a flagon of red wine, a book of verses, a loaf of bread, and a little idleness. If with such store I might sit by thy dear side in some lonely place, I should deem myself happier than a king in his kingdom.
- Omar Khayyam (1898). “Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám”


It’s too bad if a heart lacks fire,
and is deprived of the light
of a heart ablaze.
The day on which you are
without passionate love
is the most wasted day of your life.
― Omar Khayyam


I came like Water, and like Wind I go.
- Omar Khayyam, Edward FitzGerald, Christopher Decker (1997). “Edward FitzGerald, Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám: A Critical Edition”, p.149, University of Virginia Press


When you are so full of sorrow
that you can't walk, can't cry anymore,
think about the green foliage that sparkles after
the rain. When the daylight exhausts you, when
you hope a final night will cover the world,
think about the awakening of a young child.
― Omar Khayyam


A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou.
― Omar Khayyam


Justice is the soul of the universe.
- Omar Khayyam (2015). “The Sufistic Quatrains”, p.680


My friend, let's not think of tomorrow, but let's enjoy this fleeting moment of life.
― Omar Khayyam


The value of three things is justly appreciated by all classes of men: youth, by the old; health, by the diseased; and wealth, by the needy.
― Omar Khayyam


The secret must be kept from all non-people. The mystery must be hidden from all idiots.
― Omar Khayyam


If I don't enjoy myself now, when shall I?
― Omar Khayyam


I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd: 'I Myself am Heav'n and Hell
- Omar Khayyam, Edward FitzGerald, Christopher Decker (1997). “Edward FitzGerald, Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám: A Critical Edition”, p.189, University of Virginia Press


We are in truth but pieces on this chess board of life, which in the end we leave, only to drop one by one into the grave of nothingness.
- Omar Khayyam (1898). “Quatrains of Omar Khayyam: In English Prose”


There was a door to which I found no key: There was the veil through which I might not see.
- Omar Khayyam (2015). “The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam”, p.33, Booklassic



No comments:

Post a Comment